Saturday, May 14, 2011

St Clair NWA and Rondeau Birding Pt 1 of 3


As mid-May rolled around, I figured I would spend a day at Rondeau to change things up a little from the normal Pelee routine. I woke up super early and headed out to Rondeau... but at the last minute, I tried to see if my new GPS knew where St Clair NWA was. My query was quickly answered with both good and bad news. Yes, it new the spot, but a surprise was that it took alot of time to get there and then get back to Rondeau. Almost doubling the trip time. I did not see too many noteworthy birds at St Clair NWA... but I was only there for 30-40 minutes. I saw American Coot, but did not even see a single Great Blue Heron ... I did see a Black Crowned Night Heron outside the Nature Reserve in an irrigation ditch.

One nice thing about the trip was the discovery of a new observation tower. One has been missing for over two years.

I later made my way to Rondeau and paid a good part of $20 to simply enter the park. Is it me or is that a little expensive??? Rondeau was extremely quiet on the morning that I visited. Spicebush trail netted almost nothing other than RB Grosbecks and yellow warblers. Tulip Tree trail produced a single Swainsons Thursh and distant sounds of what must have been Pileated drumming.
 This Purple Finch was with a few females. Sadly, his other eye seemed to be impaled/diseased.
 Pine Siskin have been refered to as American Goldfinch in Camoflage.


A Mourning Warbler was spotted, and later a Black Billed Cuckoo thanks to some photographers that caught my attention as I was leaving the park.



I left Rondeau before noon to maybe try my luck at Hillman/Pelee.

Good Birding,
Dwaynejava

3 comments:

  1. Mourning Warbler would have been a life bird for me, but still...almost $20 does seem very high just to enter a park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean it DOESN'R cost $18 ro gwt in to Pelee? Looking better for that choice for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuart, Pelee is $ 7.80 or 19 for a car-load of people but I bought an anual pass which makes the cost even lower. Rondeau was $16! I was only there for 3-4 hours.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...