Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Recent Ojibway Walks


Well... I can't help but feeling disappointed in this year's migration through our region. Of course, I was unable to actually spend gobs of time... no big days or big weeks. Just like 3-4 hours bi-weekly to various local hotspots. I just didn't see the birds that I saw last Spring, and it seemed like I put more effort into getting out there this season. Some exciting lifers this May have been: Yellow Breasted Chat, Prothonotary and Cereluean Warblers. The Cerulean being self-found!

With that in mind, I have spent some time a little closer to home, like at Ojibway Park, Ojibway Prarie and Black Oak Heritage Park in West Windsor.  This video shows four cool birds that I might see on a good afternoon. In order: Red Bellied Woodpecker at the feeders, Eastern Towhee, Eastern Bluebird and finally, Indigo Bunting.




A recent short walk to Black Oak Heritage Park gave views of Great Crested Flycatcher, Blue Grey Gnatcatcher, Baltimore Orioles, Warbling and Red-eyed Vireos, Field and Song Sparrow and a nesting Northern Flicker. Nothing overly exciting but still... good to know. I beleive I also heard a Wood Thrush.



One of my blog readers recently invited me to see some East-End nesting Screech Owls... How nice! That may be the subject of my next posting!

Good birding,
Dwaynejava

1 comment:

  1. It has been quiet here too. I don't know if it's me, or something wonky with this year's weather patterns, or what. Still, we've both seen some great birds to be proud of!
    Forgot to mention on the last comment that the raccoon pic is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...