Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Mothing with Moe ... in May? + Wheatley Harbour Shorebird Run





For the last few years, I have been fortunate to join a local moth expert in his mothing efforts. This particular outing was much earlier than any I had been on in the past.  There was not a huge amount of diversity, although I did see a few new species that I've never seen -- Such as this beautiful Harnessed Tiger Moth (similar to the Virgin Tiger Moth), Abbott Sphinx Moth as well as a Twin spotted Sphinx moth.  A couple other interesting species were photographed and will most likely go unidentified.


I had also wanted to go out to Wheatley Harbour in hopes of seeing Whimbrel and/or Red Knots, which are generally passing though at this time of year. Upon arrival, I was disappointed that there were none of the desired shorebirds although a single Whimbrel on the breakwall gave me some satisfaction. Ruddy Turnstones were plentiful and were both easy to see in flight as well as foraging on the beach.

On the way home, I drove by Two Creeks Conservation Area and noted a Monarch Butterfly (FOY) which was very nice to see.

Good Birding!
Dwayne















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...