Friday, July 30, 2010

Major Birding... nuff said!


I went a little overboard birding today. I covered several locations in Essex and Chatham-Kent. I will leave the birding/location lists below. One highlight was that I officially saw/heard/photographed a Marsh Wren (lifer). I swear I've heard this on many occasions, maybe even seen a brown bird disappear in a flash. But today, I finally got a Marsh Wren, even in its classic split leg pose on two seperate reeds.



St Clair NWA
Double Crested Cormorant
Belted Kingfisher
Least Bittern
Marsh Wren (lifer)
Yellow Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Common Grackel
Red Winged Blackbird
Black Tern
Great Blue Heron
Barn Swallow
Song Sparrow
House Wren
Eastern Kingbird
American Goldfinch



Blenheim Lagoons
Great Egret
Lesser Yellowlegs

Erieau Marsh Trail
Bonaparts Gull
Least Flycatcher
Marsh Wren
Willow Flycatcher


Wheatley Docks/Muddy Creek
Great Blue Heron
Various Gulls

Hillman Marsh
Great Blue Heron (50+)
Great Egret
Eastern Kingbird
Indigo Bunting
Cedar Waxwing
Northern Cardinal
Caspian Tern
American Goldfinch


Just a final note, I stopped by Wheatley today and picked up a pound of fresh Yellow Perch Fillets. I fried them along with some onion rings and local corn. It was quite delicious. It was ironic though because I was looking at onion/corn/soya fields all afternoon and grumbling about the monoculture that we were left with from 150+ years of farming and urban sprawl with mimimal concern for the local ecology.

Good Birding!
Dwayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...