Saturday, May 29, 2010

Kayaking Peche Island

(Photo Credit: http://www.walkervilletimes.com/images/map-peche-island.jpg)

I've kayaked Peche Island twice this May, and I figured I would blog some photos and thoughts about the trip. It's quite a nice little two hour trip if you have a kayak.

Birding wise, I would say my two trips did not really blow me away. I was expecting to see some Herons, possibly a Bald Eagle or Osprey... but no such luck. Ojibway's website even posted news of some Black Bellied Whistling Ducks but I did not see those either.

I did see Terns, Downy Woodpeckers, nesting Yellow Warblers, Red Winged Blackbirds, 10+ Perching Wood Ducks, a few Canada Geese, Mallard Ducks, Swans, and Northern Rough Winged Swallows (lifer). I also saw a Belted Kingfisher fly by in the distance.

Here are some photos from the first of the two trips:


My birding endeavors have slowed down, but I would still like to make it out to St Clair NWA to try to see some  Least or American Bitterns. But... I almost can't talk myself into going because of my first impression of the place when I visited it last summer. All I saw was 14' tall phramites. No observation deck... nothing to see or look at. Any thoughts on SCNWA?

Happy Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...