Saturday, May 1, 2010

Great birding day (12 lifers) but crappy weather...

I birded Point Pelee today by arriving at the tip at eager time of 6:45 AM. The weather was basically awful. I got caught in a few heavy rain showers but they were all short lived. At one point, my lens fogged up due to the amount of rain that had come into contact with the lens. Even with crappy photography-killing light, I tried my best to get some great photos from the day.

I did see a Red-Headed Woodpecker ... I was REALLY happy to see that bird. I would say that is easily the lifer of the year for me.

This is a quick, off the cuff list of birds I photographed and saw today... And there are two more birds I`m yet to identify!!! I must give credit to many friendly birders for sharing their discoveries with me.  For example, there were many Red Headed Woodpeckers, but they were still very difficult to see when they are perched. Many kind birders would point out the bird which was sometimes 20-40m away.

List for the day...

Rose Breasted Grosbeck (male and female)
Surf Scoter (Lifer)
Cape May Warbler (Lifer)
Eastern Kingbird
Common Yellowthroat (Lifer)
Orchard Oriole (Lifer)
Baltimore Oriole
White-eyed Vireo (Lifer)
Warbling Vireo (Lifer)
American Redstart (male) (Lifer)
Blue-winged Warbler (Lifer)
Indigo Bunting
White-crowned Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Field Sparrow (Lifer)
Eastern Towhee (female) (Lifer)
White-throated Sparrow
Double-crested Cormorant
Brown Thrasher
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Common Tern
Caspian Tern
Gray Catbird
Blue Headed Vireo (Lifer)
Yellow Warbler
Palm Warbler
Red-headed Woodpecker (Lifer)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
House Wren
Black-throated Green Warbler (Lifer)
Scarlet Tanager  (Lifer)





There are two birds that I have photographed, but I cant seem to identify them. I might make that the subject of my next blog posting.


Happy Birding!

1 comment:

  1. A nice selection of birds! I had a feeling you would get the Red-headed Woodpeckers this weekend.
    I was at Pelee today (Sunday) and had some decent birds. (Check blog). Also saw two Red-headed Woodpeckers flying south and high when I was on West Beach Trail.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...