Wednesday, May 1, 2019

What a difference a day makes! May 1st 2019 Ojibway Park Birding



Today on May 1 - I stopped by Malden Park in the morning and noted Black throated blue and Palm Warblers not far from the parking lot. I was dressed for work and only stopped for 5 minutes but I was eager to get back to Ojibway after work.

After work I was bringing my boys for floor hockey near Oakwood but noted more good birds in that section on Ojibway.  Yellow Warbler, Nashville, Wood Thrush,  Black & White Warbler and Rusty Blackbirds were seen.

Finally, after dropping my kids off after hockey, I went to Black Oak Heritage Park. I was happy to see many of the above birds but also Black throated green, Blackburnian, and one of my favorite non-warblers - Blue headed Vireo. I also heard an Ovenbird singing!

Its amazing how consistent "May 1st" is for being the opening day of the birding festival season.

It seems like Pelee would have been amazing today. Prairie Warbler and Piping Plover were two visitors to the park area. Its only going to get better from here.

Some highlights and FOY birds:
Yellow Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Black throated Blue Warbler
Black throated green Warbler
Palm Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Ovenbird (heard)

Blue headed Vireo

Rusty Blackbird

Yellow bellied Sapsucker

Wood Thrush

Gray Catbird


Good birding!











Horrible shot--- but I was hoping it might be a Hermit Warbler  :-p





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...