Friday, April 13, 2012

Owls of Ojibway

Just a short posting. I'm happy to say that my birding hiatus ends tomorrow at 7pm. I have not birded too much lately, but still have been able to take the occasional walk at Ojibway Park in Windsor.  A friendly birder (yes, they exist!) graciously shared the location of these two gorgeous owls with me, under the condition that I not disclose the location to others. The owl fledgling below is only about 5-6 days old!


The baby owl looked distraught so we left immediately. We stayed back at least 100m, so this photo is heavily cropped and taken with a 500mm lens on a cropped sensor. Please use the highest standard of birding ethics when viewing owls.

Related News:
Four Peregrine Falcon Eggs at the bridge site!
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/04/10/four-eggs-for-peregrine-falcons/

Point Pelee Birding Report for 2011 
http://www.ojibway.ca/pointpeleebirds2011.pdf

I'm selling my kayak (maybe)
http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-water-sports-Kayak-Wilderness-systems-tsunami-165-Updated-with-Photos-W0QQAdIdZ370102176

New Scope?
I'm in the market for a new scope. Some considerations are the Bushnell Elite Scopes, Vortex Razor 85mm, Kowa 88mm...Any suggestions?

Good birding,
Dwaynejava

3 comments:

  1. Regarding scope considerations...if I could have afforded it, I would have went with a Kowa, Swarovski, or even Vortex (their scopes are quite good!), but instead I went with the Bushnell Elite. Its probably the best scope under 1500$. The 20-60 zoom eyepiece is certainly usable, but not the same quality as the other three brands, especially once you zoom all the way out. The 22x wide-angle eyepiece however is exceptional, I would say comparable to the other brands (though I've never tried the Kowa).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Vortex is awesome and can be had for $1600...Kowa and Swaro are also maybe slightly better but quite a bit more expensive. Just a note - the Swarovski tripod is not very good, go with a Manfrotto or Gitzo instead (based on a friend's, I am too poor for these! haha).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots Dwayne. For me, hawks and owls are the most exciting finds. Hope your exam goes well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...