Saturday, January 22, 2011

King Eider & Better looks at White-winged Scoter

Click image for larger view

I had some time to kill this morning so I headed out to East Windsor to see if I could re-find the White winged Scoter I saw yesterday. Its funny though, my main viewing area had been the park just east of lili-kazilies on Riverside Dr. I did not see much this morning from that park (with the exception of two soaring bald eagles over Peche Island), so I figured I would try the viewing from another marina I had never checked out.

Lucky for me, there was a friendly birder (Richard) there with a scope, and he pointed out not just the White winged Scoter but also a female King Eider! (Lifer! #223). I would not have noticed the King Eider without his keen eyes and his willingness to share his observations.

Richard and I discussed scopes. He gave great advice on not skimping when it comes to birding optics, but I told him... I have a wife, a new son and a mortgage. No $3000 scopes for me! I went ahead and purchased this scope which seems pretty good and costs about the same as an evening to a local restaurant. Now, I get the enjoyment of a scope while maintaining a healthy marriage!!!

This female King Eider does not look too much different than the female Canvasback to the right of her. Props to Richard for finding it. I guess I'm stating the obvious here but I wish a male King Eider was hanging around.

Hooded Mergansers seemed to much more abundant somehow this morning. A refreshing change from just seeing one in the far distance.

 There was a mature Bald Eagle flying with this juvy. They are basically easy to see if you scan along the trees on Peche Island.

Female Greater Scaup

Good birding!
Dwaynejava

PS: Thanks to Kelly for pointing out a typo I made on my last posting. I was calling the Scoter a Scooter!!!! Opps!!! I can laugh at such a silly mistake, but I must say, ... I have an excuse for that mistake! I was at Point Pelee in May this year, and someone came up to me and said: "There are some Surf-Scooters out off the west beach waters". I've been calling Scoters --> "Scooters" for the last 7 months! Thanks Kelly :-)

... don't even get me started on the spelling or pronounciation of Pileated Woodpeckers!

3 comments:

  1. Good shot of the King Eider. I wonder if it was the one up by Algonac earlier. That area is choked with ice now.
    Been a couple of years since I saw a King Eider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the two recent lifers, Dwayne! great pics, too. I hope some of your good fortune spreads around-- I'm trying somewhere new myself tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, both the British and the American pronunciations of "pileated" are accepted in Canadian English. Congrats on the new scope!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...