Saturday, March 27, 2010

American Wigeon ... just by chance




I attended a family friends' birthday party in Amherstburg today, so I left a little early and stopped by Holiday Beach to check out the ducks on Big Creek. I was shocked at how low the water was! I kayaked Big Creek last June and well, from Holiday beach, it looked like mudflats!You would not be able to launch a kayak into it!!! Big Creek closer to the bridge on Highway 18 had a little more water, but seemed very shallow as well.

I snapped a photos from the side of the road thinking they were just mallards and to my pleasent suprise... Lifers! I've never seen the green-faced, white crowned american wigeon! Upon looking up this duck on Allaboutbirds.org , I was amazed that its range is really on the western side of the continent. It only stopped here in migration. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Wigeon/lifehistory

Some Northern Shovelers were out as well.


I photographed a black capped chickadee, and was shocked at how cute it looked. I also noted that its rusty flanks are not present. Could it be a Carolina Chickadee? Or just a young, immature black capped chickadee. I guess I'll just assume the later.

1 comment:

  1. There were lots of Wigeon at Rondeau today, but I was looking for an Eurasian Wigeon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...