Sunday, September 15, 2024

Southern Dogface Butterfly Visits Southwestern Ontario

 

This last week of early to mid September had a chance sighting of a southern butterfly species called a Southern Dogface butterfly. I had seen this butterfly in the past (as I have been to Texas as well as several other states in the southern US)  --- but only this week did I come to realize this butterfly's namesake and most interesting field mark!

I had always assumed the field mark was a sharp pointed forwing! But it turns out - this butterfly has its upper forwing as completely black for the outer 1/3 of its wing. This black outline makes the silouette of a dog, complete with a black spot for its eyes. Compare this outline with Orange Sulphur or Clouded Sulphur. In flight, its make a distinct black-yellow display as the butterfly flaps its wings.




As luck would have it - I had seen a Grey Hairstreak as well --- just north of the NW beach parking lot. This area was a little more shady (literally) and perhaps my camera's exposure had been set 1-2 stops too dark. It was an exciting find as I had not seen a hairstreak for a good 1-2 months.  I was at Pelee after work on Friday Sept 13th - and met a Toronto area butterfly enthusiast who I was able to point this out to. 




A few Fiery Skippers were around as well. I captured this photo below with my cell phone. Its a first of year sighting of this particular species. 









Good butterfly watching!
Dwayne


Final Images:  Great Plains Ladies Tresses Orchid --- At the Ojibway tallgrass preserve + Fringed Gentian. Both are extraordinarily late bloomers...





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...