Saturday, April 6, 2019

Yellow bellied Sapsucker @ Black Oak Heritage Park




Today was just a fantastic day to be outside. 18C and sunny. I went for a bike ride this morning from my house in the South Cameron Woodlot area to Malden Park, then through Spring garden, then through the Tallgrass prairie on the Titcombe pathway, then to the Black Oak Heritage Park. I might have biked 15-20km today!

Lots of great birds were seen today. Some birds included:
Yellow bellied Sapsucker
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Bluebird
Carolina Wren
Song Sparrow
Field Sparrow

Several Eastern Commas were fluttering around as well.

At one point along the pathway through Spring Garden - there was deafening song of Chorus Frog.  I stopped to look and was amazed that even though I was surrounded by loud frog song - I couldn't see any!  Sure enough I slowly started to see a few. I was caught off-guard as to how small they are. It seems like they are so small - that they could fit on a quarter.

Seeing Yellow bellied Sapsuckers for the first time each year is always exciting. In Windsor - they are only present during the month of April ... until their southbound migration in the fall.


Good birding!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...