Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Three Eastern things: Phoebes, Commas and Bluebirds



For those of us that love nature - that love being outside --- this is a great time of year. Each year at this time we get our "FOY" or "FOS" birds and nature observations.

Today after work  I went to Black Oak Heritage Park for a bike ride. I did two laps around the northern part of the park - and then did a third lap on a trail that winds along the interior of the Black Oak Savanna habitat.

I was happy to see some great birds - nothing unexpected but still some nice first of year (foy) birds.

I saw my first Eastern Phoebe flycatching and foraging in the savanna. Always an exciting FOY observation.
Eastern Bluebirds, Chickadees, WB Nuthatches, Tufted Titmice, Robins, Song Sparrows, Blue Jays, Dark eyed Juncos and Turkey Vulture were seen.





This past Saturday - I got my first butterfly for the year - An Eastern Comma. As of right now (2019), I think I'm the #1 E-butterflier in the province of Ontario!... But I'm sure my latitude is helping me out with this.

Good birding!








1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an enjoyable bike ride. Great pics of the Eastern Bluebird!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...