Saturday, April 15, 2017

Black necked Stilts at Windsor's Ganatchio Trail





GPS coordinate for the Wetland where the birds where:










This afternoon, Jeremy Bensette called me and asked me to followup on an E-bird report that a birder - Samantha Dundas had posted at about 1pm this afternoon. She had listed 7 Black necked Stilts! Jeremy suggested that they were along riverside drive, so ask I drove to East Windsor, I ended up using the ebird checklists' pinpoint as my GPS destination point. I was familiar with the wetlands at Ganatchio as I walk that path a few times per year with my family.

I really didn't think the Stilts would pan out - but low and behold --- wow! 7 gorgeous stilts were in the middle of that wetland. Of course, I quickly informed Jeremy that yes- they were present. 

My intention was to post the birds to Ontbirds, and state: "Please see the attached Ebird list for the location and the finder"... the intention was there ... but ya, I suck at typing on my phone, with its slow performance out in the field. Also, in the presence of good birds - typing somehow becomes difficult for me :).

I felt bad as the day wore on  - I was at my mother in laws house eating festive Easter dinners. But yes, even some local Essex birders requested details about where these birds were. 

I will go at 7am Easter Sunday to see if they are there still and report a yes / no to ontbirds.

Its amazing to think that there were flocks of these beautiful shorebirds (35 Avocets at Hillman and these 7 Stilts at Ganatchio) that settled into the region last night. And at least in this location, a local birder had the skill to ID them and ebird them... Amazing!

Good Birding!
Dwayne




2 comments:

  1. Lucky you, Dwayne....nice to be close to the right spot at the right time and get some decent pics to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allen, I was lucky to be in the area - and lucky to be able to followup on that great find. Capturing the birds with photography is always fun as well!-DM

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...