Saturday, September 18, 2010

A good value? Is NASCAR considered a noble sport in the south?


I've wanted a pair of binoculars for about two months now, and I did alot of research on the web before buying them. One pair I settled on buying about 1 month ago was the Bushnell 10x42 Ultra HD's. After tax they cost $350, which many people I've spoken to agreed was a great price/value tradeoff. They are comparable to Nikon Monarch binoculars in terms of price/quality/performance.

But, my research came across some Roof-Prism Discount binoculars sold at retail outlets in the US for $30. So my interest was peaked. I took the plung. I had a friend order them online and drop them off here in Windsor today, and I must say,,, I'm pretty happy with them. They have a smooth focus nob. They have a nice feel to them. They are beautiful. And honest to God... $38 Canadian with tax and delivery. At that price, I'm tempted to buy some another pair and keep a pair in my glove compartment.

I'm very excited to take these out into the field. Sure, they do not have ED glass or Bak-4 prisms... but hey ... I don't think they are 10x worse then the ultra HDs (but they are 10x cheaper!).




Ultra HD's vs Sportsman Binoculars

Magnification X Obj Lens10 x 42 10 x 42
Close Focus (ft/m)6.5/1.9 23 / 7
Lens CoatingFully Multi Multi
Field of View ft@1000yds / m@1000m340/ 305 / 
RainGuard® HDYes no
EyecupsTwist-Up Twist-up
Eye Relief15.2 13.6
Adapt to TripodYes Yes
Focus SystemCenter Center
Exit Pupil (mm)4.2 4.0
Prism GlassBaK-4 BK-7
Water/Fog ProofYes No
Prism SystemRoof Roof
Weight (oz/g)22.5 22.2 
Model191042 141042
Size ClassStandard Standard

I can't wait to get out and look at some birds in stereo vision! Will this be the of my photographic rants on this blog? Probably not!

Good birding,

Dwayne

Post Script: I love these binoculars after using them for a few days, but the minimal focus distance is a little long. To look a butterfly on a gravel path, I had to be about 7m away from it ... so, great binoculars but I had a feeling they would not be *that* great.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a bargain!
    I was at Point Pelee today. Nothing new. Better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At $38 you can't go wrong. Let me know how the work out. I may have to grab some next time I'm over there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...