Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Classic Carolinian ... a summertime walk at Ojibway Park


Its been a while since I really gave Ojibway Park an honest walk.

I started in the Provincial Ojibway Grassland Prairie Reserve and immediately heard a bird chirping its little heart out, but not up in a tree, but in the grass near my feet. Then as I parted some tall grass near a small shrub, a tiny little baby bird with its big yellow beaks opening skyward. I was shocked. I felt bad that I could not help it so I just walked away from it. Nature will take care of itself.

I walked three major parts of the Ojibway Park today. The grassy Nature Reserve area, then the adjacent Tallgrass Reserve area, then the Ojibway Park Forest. (See http://www.ojibway.ca/complex.htm)

Ojibway walk list:

Red Winged Blackbird
Robin
Common Grackel
Brown Headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole
Cardinal
Blue Jay
Tufted Titmouse :-)
Black Capped Chickadee
Green Heron :-)
Indigo Bunting :-)
Field Sparrow
House Sparrow
House Wren
Morning Dove
American Goldfinch
White Breasted Nuthatch
Eastern Towhee :-)
Eastern Bluebird (immature female)  :-)
Red Bellied Woodpecker :-)
Downy Woodpecker

I also saw about 5+ species of butterflies and 10+ wildflowers.

An generous grouping of Eastern Deciduous Carolinian forest species. Nothing today was particularly surprising ... but I must say that I had incredible views of an Indigo Bunting, along with my first (Windsor) Green Heron for the year. If you`ve looked at my profile writeup, the Ojibway`s resident Green Heron is what sparked my love (and interest) in birding. I was wondering if the Green Heron that I saw last year was not back this year, but today, I flushed one as I crossed the small bridge behind the pond in the north east corner of the park.  I only saw Indigo Buntings on two occasions last summer so even though they nest at Ojibway, they are not easily spotted. Seeing them and photographing them was great.

I ran into Paul Pratt who mentioned some nearby breeding Eastern Bluebirds so I went to look and found them as well. They breed at Ojibway, but are never easily seen (at least in my opinion). I did photograph an immature Eastern Bluebird, the photos are not really very interesting.

Very soon after entering the park, I saw Field Sparrow, Male and Female Baltimore Oriole, and an Indigo Bunting!
Eastern Towhee was found in the Ojibway main forest Grounds. This is one of the first rarer birds that I recognize the call from and they respond well to simple pishing.

This Red-bellied Woodpecker was far from the feeders. During the summer, they are probably loading up on bugs (protein) and not soo easily seen at the feeders, so it was a nice treat. This photo below is a female.
 

Good Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...