Monday, December 21, 2020

Winter Solstice 2020 & the Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn v2 (Dec 20th, & 22nd)



 

I have been increasingly interested in Astronomy this year. I am just a 'noob' with astronomy - but I do pride myself in making an effort to witness some of the bigger events that happen that the masses can partake in.  I think another factor is my recently acquired spotting scope - a Celestron 80mm spotting scope that affords me stunning looks at this celestial scene! Even last night (Dec 20th 2020) from the light-polluted city of Windsor --- I was able to photograph the above scene with my 400mm lens on my Canon 7D camera ( on a tripod of course). I had put a delay on the shutter button of 2 seconds to reduce the amount of shake that happens when one hits the shutter release button. One also needs to experiment with the exposure, ISO, aperture to get a nice exposure. 

I would encourage anyone with a scope to try to look out at the western horizon for the brightest 'star' and attempt to view it at 20-60x in their scopes. Even with a humble entry level Celestron Scope - I was able to see the rings of Saturn and the four largest moons of Jupiter!!!

I want to wish my blog readers a Happy Solstice ! Today is the day with the least amount of Sunlight. From this day through June 21st - the amount of sunlight will incrementally increase! I think more people should be aware of, and celebrate the Solstice. In this greatly divided world -- its one holiday that all people can celebrate. Regardless of your race, ethnicity, nationality, wealth, education ... everyone can appreciate that today is the bottom of the parabola in terms of angle of sunlight and day length.  Its also a day that Indiginous Peoples, farmers as well as Science minded people appreciate in particular. 

So,,, if you can get a chance to look out at the western horizon just after sunset, and your view is not obstructed by clouds --- I want to invite you to take a look. Especially if you have a spotting scope!

Good Stargazing,
Dwayne



















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...