Saturday, November 3, 2012

Evening Grosbeak & Winter Finches at Rondeau

Boardwalk near vistor center

A recent blog posting from a Rondeau Area birder had Evening Grosbeaks and White-winged Crossbills coming to his feeders, so I thought I would go see them for myself. I've seen Evening Grosbeaks (at a great distance) in the Okanagan Valley BC but never in Ontario. White winged Crossbills would be a life bird though.
Upon arrival to Rondeau Park, I walked up to the beach and noticed three Horned Grebes close to the shore. Common Mergansers were very close to shore as well, but further south along the beach. Next was the visitor center feeders, but I soon realized that there was no bird seed there so, I decided to head over to south point trail where I ran into Blake and Steve.
Hermit Thrushes on South Point Trail
Next stop was Ric & Anne's Feeders. We saw many Pine Siskens, Red and White breasted Nuthatches, Purple Finches but no Grosbeaks or Crossbills.

Siskins and Purple Finch

Blake and Steve decided to walk the campground and I followed, as I had never walked that part of the park. Lots of birds around, including: Eastern Bluebirds, Red bellied Woodpeckers, chickadees, both Kinglets and even a Nashville Warbler was seen foraging through dried-out goldenrod plants. Steve soon pointed out a flock of Crossbills that went right over our heads. I snapped a few photos in hopes of verifying them and sure enough...Lifer! White winged Crossbills #309.

White winged Crossbills in flight
Having limited time, I figured I would try out Ric's feeders one more time before I left Rondeau. Sure enough, as I was about to give up on waiting, Evening Grosbeaks showed up!



Red breasted Nuthatches, Tufted Titmouse and Red bellied Woodpeckers were hanging out!

As I was about to leave Rondeau Park, Blake stopped by Ric's Cottage to see the Grosbeaks and infomed me that he found another Saw-whet Owl!  Seeing this amazing owl was a great way to end off a great morning of birding!

Good Birding,
Dwaynejava

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your life bird! Looks like a great birding day....you got some great shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the lifer and new Ontario bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic day. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What GORGEOUS birds the Evening Grosbeaks are. Congrats! The owl photo is just precious, too! What a little cutie. --Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am to find your blog, I love your birds. Congrats on your lifers. I love the Grosbeaks and the Saw-Whet Owl, very cool. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came back to see the gorgeous pic of the boardwalk. It's really caught my eye. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...