Monday, June 28, 2010

It ain't easy being green.... Green Heron at Ojibway


Just a quick posting about a Green Heron that sets up residence every year at Ojibway Park. This year, this bird is a little harder to find! I finally saw him today, just hanging out in Pond in Front of Ojibway Park.  I love this bird! He actually stuck his beak skyward like his cousin, the American Bittern might do to camoflage himself with the reeds surely to be behind him.

I would love to see an American Bittern or Least Bittern, but they have proven to just be too shy for this author. I did not see much else, but I swore I heard a Brown Thrasher today at Ojibway, and of course, I saw a House Wren. They are very easily seen at Ojibway this year.

Good summer birding and butterflying!
I will post soon about a walk I did at Rotary Club Ganatchio Trail Extension. It was great last summer, and its great again this summer as well!

Dwayne

3 comments:

  1. Good one of the Green Heron! I've seen a lot of Green Herons this spring.
    One of these days you will at least see a bittern!
    I will be at Ojibway on Saturday for the butterfly count. Looks good for rarities this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my anniversary this Saturday, but I might be able to get out for a few hours in the morning at least. It would be good to meet you there!

    I might try kayaking cranberry pond at PPNP to see an American Bittern. Rondeau would probably be a safe bet. I heard they are a little more active at dusk or dawn, so that makes it even more difficult for me to see them.

    I'm still amazed that you saw a Least Bittern on the West beach of PPNP.

    Dwayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again this might be a bit out of your birding range but Luther Marsh near Arthur, ON has been good for american bitterns. Also on a side note, surprisingly I have seen more am. bitterns in the cattail reeds than I have at the waters edge and for me early morning has been the best. Anyway, good luck. They are one of my favorites to watch.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...