Saturday, May 11, 2024

Northern Lights in Windsor ON - May 10th 2024

At about 10pm - Friday May 10th 2024, I received an alert from the Point Pelee Birding Group about Northern Lights being visible in Leamington (not to be confused with the fusia grow lights light pollution).... And to my utter amazement - I went outside and looked up to see a stunning band of green colour across the sky.

This was one of my buck list items and to think of the chances of me witnessing this. A 1-in-20 year solar storm, solar particles flying through space for 150,000,000 km, and a clear sky, between 9:30 and 11pm (dark waking hours).... the chances are incredible. Luckily with tech , I was given a warning by some keen observers via whatsapp. 

I quickly attempted to drive out to the county (mcgregor) to get darkers skies, but --- by the time I made it out there, the show was fading out and coming to an end. I didn't realize this show would be so fleeting and in hindsight, I should have stayed put and just enjoyed the show from my yard.

Nature , natural history, astronomy are so incredible to behold. I would argue that its the greatest show on earth. I was simply happy to be a humble witness to this incredible phenomena. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...