Saturday, February 9, 2019

Common Redpolls - In Essex County? --- YES!


Yesterday while I was at work, I had checked my email at the end of the day and read an amazing bird sighting posted to the local wepbirds google group: Common Redpolls in Essex County ! Again this sighting was posted by local birding phenom Jeremy Hatt.

This morning (saturday) I went to the area that they were being seen (Couture Rd and Concession 9) and didn't see anything other than a Fox! But then, an hour after I left, Donnie M reposted to Wepbirds that he had found the flock again  today. 




It took a while - but after being very patient for perhaps 30 mins to an hour - Karen, Rick and Donnie pointed out distant flocks of winter finches --- Perhaps 60-80 birds. At one point, the flock landed in  a large (oak?) tree next to the road. Much to my chagrin,  many of my photos were unacceptably out of focus. This flock did not provide very nice views for photography --- but I was still delighted to see them.


Common Redpolls are one of my favorite winter finches. From my experience as a birder - I must say that they have been very rare in Essex County. In fact, there was only one other time in the last 10 years that I've seen a common redpoll in Essex, and it was one that I had found at Point Pelee many years ago.

Here's hoping that we see more of these red-headed winter finche beauties before the winter is over.

Good birding!
Dwayne




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...