Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2017 Review - Part 1 of 2 ~ Butterflies and Blooms



Its that time of year again. I want to wish everyone a (belated) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone! (Happy Solstice as well!) Looking back at this year, it presents some dichotomies in that I was busier than normal and birded much less than I usually do, but at the same time, I took two ambitious trips and still had some amazing highlights. During the last year, I took 7 university courses --- plus worked full time --- ridiculous I know. I'm happy to say that  This week will mark my 8th year of birding and blogging.


Some of my botanical highlights this year include finding several Eastern Fringed Prairie Orchids this year within the Ojibway Park Complex.  I have walked many KM's in search of these plants and this year, I seem to have found a second and third site on my own - self found. These locations are not readily divulged because of their rareness. They are critically endangered - S1 if I'm not mistaken.

  

I went to New Brunswick this summer to help my dad drive home to Windsor and I had another amazing highlight - I stumbled across a Ragged fringed Orchid at my grandpa's old house near Tracadie NB. 

Of course, if one drives through the Bruce Peninsula, during certain seasons, and passes through the right habitats, many orchids can be found. I was lucky enough to pass through Manitoulin Island  and Tobermory in July which allowed me to see some later season orchids such as Lesser Purple Fringed Orchid, Bog Orchid, and Spotted Coralroot to name a few. 




Even just around Windsor and Essex, some good blooms can be found that are rare in the province.  I was lucky enough to join Russ Jones on a botany walk in mid summer  with the Essex County Field Naturalists - which gave me looks at some mega rarities. Tall Green Milkweed, Whoreled Milkweed, Flowering Dogood, Three awnded Grass, Blood red Milkwort, Winged Loosestrife were shown. It dawned on me that Ojibway Park in Windsor Ontario could be the milkweed capital of Canada. I have seen the following species here:

Common Milkweed
Sulivant's Milkweed
Swamp Milkweed
Purple Milkweed
Butterfly Milkweed
Whorled Milkeweed
Tall green Milkweed

I had several new butterfly species this year. I think I have added about 8 or so species this year! Here is a listing and a few photos of some highlights.


109-Eastern Pine Elphin (Pinery)
110-Hoary Elphin (Pinery)
111-Dusted Skipper (Pinery)
112-Northern Oak Hairstreak (Wallaceburg)
113-Common Roadside Skipper (Tobermory)
114-Atlantis Fritillary (Manitoulin Island)
First Photo-Aphrodite Fritillary (Manitoulin Island)
115-Harris's Checkerspot (Manitoulin Island)




My  butterfly life list is "fluttering" around 115 species... Not bad for an amateur naturalist!
Stay tuned for part 2 - birding in 2017.

-Dwayne


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...