Sunday, May 14, 2017

Backyard ... Whip-poor-will??!?! + Pelee Wed May 10th photos

On Saturday May 13th, I had spent the day birding at Pelee and was particularly exhausted in the evening. Taking a nap in my room with the window open, I heard the familiar "Peent" of the local American Woodcock. I went to the window to take in the sounds, and to look if I could see the timberdoodle display, when to my amazement, an Eastern Whip-poor-will burst out into loud song! My mind was absolutely blown. I went downstairs to go out on my back porch and took the following video with my cell phone to document the occurrence. 





On another note, I went out to Pelee on Wed May 10th. Kit joined me as we often attempt to car-pool because we both have a 1-hour drive to pelee from Windsor. Wednesday gave lots of first year birds to look at. Some highlights were good looks at Prothonotary, Cape May,  Magnolia as well as Yellow throated Vireos. Most people mentioned that while Wednesday was good, Tuesday seemed to be the best day of the week with more birds and more rarities in the mix.  Below is a photo dump!

My son is beckoning me to help him with legos so I'm going to cut this short!

Good Birding,
Dwayne




















2 comments:

  1. It was great to meet you and see Kit again yesterday. Looks like you saw a few of the species I missed on the 13th on the 10th. I didn't even think about looking for Yellow-throated Vireos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to hear that Whip-poor-will!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...