Monday, June 29, 2015

Hooded Warbler at Ojibway Park

Northern Rough winged Swallows sitting on a ventilation pipe of a new home near South Cameron Woodlot in Windsor. 

I've spent the last two months (April 24-June 24) in transition as I had sold my first house earlier this year, and I've been living at my mother in laws for the last two months --- waiting for my new house to finish being built.  I moved into my new house this week. My new house is nice, it backs up onto a provincially significant forest and wetland in Windsor and the birding from my back yard has been great.  I get to hear Song Sparrows and Indigo Buntings sing all day. I have nesting Rough winged Swallows constantly flying though my back yard. I see Red tailed hawks daily and Coppers Hawk occasionally. Even Chimney Swifts fly overhead with some consistency.



I did the electrical for my new house, so I've been incredibly busy doing that over the last few months but I still make time for birding. Lately, I've made point of butterfly watching around Ojibway Park and today, I took my wife and two boys for a walk at Spring Garden area of Ojibway Park. I quickly noted lots of Little Glassywing butterflies, as well as Banded and Edwards Hairstreaks.
Edward's Hairstreak on Yarrow

Common Ringlet at Lasalle's Radio Tower Fields - Rare for Essex. 
During our walk today though - I noted a warbler singing along the path I was on - It was singing its heart out. I did not even have my binoculars, so I tried to photograph it with my camera and --- was blown away to realize that I was looking at a Hooded Warbler! A Scarlet Tanager was in the same tree - its actually a first for 2015 for me. I managed to even capture video of the Hooded Singing.




Ojibway Park lists the Hooded Warbler as a non breeding bird that migrates through (see http://www.ojibway.ca/birds.htm) but the time of year - late June - hints that it could be nesting here in Windsor at Ojibway Park. A fantastic bird for Windsor Essex in my opinion.





Good birding!

 Dwayne

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're finally into the house Dwayne! I hope it gives you and your family many years of being a great home and some excellent birding out your backyard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, thanks for the good wishes. Thanks for your thoughts on my foundation questions!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...