I had some time this morning - after running a few errands --- to stop by Coventry Gardens in Windsor.
This park is along the Detroit river (just south of Lake St Clair) and is loaded with lots and lors of flower beds.
Occasionally, I make an effort to visit with the intention of seeing any butterflies that stop at this flowery habitat.
A woman on social media posted a photo of a Varigated Fritillary recently (I ID'ed it for her) and that really gave me the motivation to go for a walk.
Sure enough - the park seemed to have low butterfly diversity. Mainly cabbage whites and a few monachs. But to my amazement I noticed a Comptons Tortoiseshell! Many flowers are also starting to look 'tired' and summer marches into August.
I only had my cell phone but managed to get a few diagnostic photos.
This is my first time seeing this species in Windsor Essex... and my second tume ever seeing one (my first was a few years ago at skunks misery)
So, its neat seeing this butterfly si close to home.
Good Butterfly watching!
Dwayne

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment