Friday, April 13, 2018

Mid April Birding at Black Oak Heritage Park in West Windsor



It seems that as of Wednesday this past week, the temperature got back to the regular temps - which are 8-10 C for this time of year.  I made an effort to walk at West Windsor's Black Oak Heritage Park, which features one of the world's rarest habitats... Black Oak Savannah.



Having just finished my night school commitments (I was taking two night courses for the last 3-4 months) it was a such a relief just to go outside and enjoy warm temperatures and observe some mid-April migrants and breeders.  This particular "end of school" feeling is particularly exciting for me. I finally completed the requirements for a Bachelor of Commerce - a business degree that I've been working on for the last... seven years. Those that read this blog for a while might be familiar with my challenges of balancing school, life, work, parenthood with one of my passions and hobbies - birding!

Anyway, some great birds seen in the last two evenings were:

Female Eastern Bluebird
Hermit Thrush
Eastern Phoebe
Yellow rumped Warbler
Golden crown Kinglet
Ruby crowned Kinglet
Yellow bellied Sapsucker
Red bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Downy Woodpecker











Anyway - its exciting to see the season finally turn to Spring and to see these annual migrants start to trickle through. I will try to head out to Point Pelee this weekend and see if I can get put a few KM's on the old step-counter, and a couple of bird species on the year list. 

It would be nice to pick up a Louisiana Waterthrush and see some other migrants that should be around such as Swallows, Winter & House Wrens , Terns, Rails and whatever else is around. 


Good Birding!






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...