Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Owl Mobbing Warblers!





This past Saturday at Point Pelee, I noticed about 6 orioles on a branch 30 meters east of Tildens trail. All of a sudden birds came out of nowhere and started going crazy. At the time, a few of us just watched the show in amazement. One viewer stated that the birds were probably mobbing an owl! I've seen crows mob larger owls (even the great grey owl attracted protest from the odd crow) but never warblers protesting Eastern Screech Owls. Northern Saw Whet Owls get protested by Black-capped Chickadees. How Cool!

For some strange reason, things died down and I continued walking. I did not think much about looking for the owl that the warblers were protesting. Later that day, my friend Rick from Leamington had mentioned that a Red-Morph Eastern Screech Owl was found on a branch off Tildens. I think that must have been the culprit!

 West Beach Habitat & Birds

 
These three landscape shots were taken with my new phone.

Variegated Fritillary... life butterfly
 
 
 
Can't wait to get back out next Saturday...
Good birding!
Dwaynejava

2 comments:

  1. Up at Lake Superior PP I once heard a ruckous of birds and found a Northern Saw-whet Owl being mobbed by 9 species of warbler, a Winter Wren, Swainson's Thrush, White-throated Sparrow and a Dark-eyed Junco!
    It is a good way to find an owl when you hear and see birds all excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite interesting about the owl mobbing! You have multiple warblers in single shots that I have never seen! (not that I have seen many yet) I like the scenery shots. It's something I'd like to do more to provide a context of where wildlife was found. Kind of contextualizes the animals instead of always the close cropped shot we always seem to want. Sort of along the lines of Brandon Holden's thoughts/philosophy too a bit I think?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...