Wednesday, December 28, 2011

An amazing video about Snowy Owls by Cornell's Ornithology Dept.

Amazing 3.5-minute documentary on the Snowy Owl. Amazing photography, videography and information. If you are reading this blog, you will love watching this.




Video: Short eared Owl
A recent video I took of a Short Eared Owl eating a mouse. Sadly, I stopped taking video about 30 seconds before it snapped up the mouse and swallowed the 80% of it remaining! I have uploaded this video and ran an edit to reduce shaky-ness, so hopefully, that anti-shake effect has taken effect by the time you watch this!
**Also, I had my hazard lights on, so I replaced that ticking sound with classical music... Just in case you were wondering!***



Video: Snowy Owl in Kingsville
My first self-discovered Snowy Owl. I drove by this owl at sunrise (7:55am) on Dec 24th, 2011. Location: Kingsville Ontario. 


Video: Great Grey Owl in Kingsville


***Sorry about the hip-hop music... I tried to cover up the original sound which involved camera's clicking and people talking... I think Enigma's "Return to Innocence" which has a nice native-american feel to it would have been more appropriate.


Holiday Beach CBC on Dec 27th, 2011
I joined the Holiday Beach CBC and walked Boblo Island which is located in the Detroit River a few hundred meters west of Amherstburg. It was a pretty good walk with some amazing birders, but sadly, I was not well dressed for the event. In particular, I spent the whole morning with icy-cold, soaked feet! I need to by buy waterproof boots if I want to keep doing this birding hobby!

Some results from our morning walk:
Great horned Owl
Great blue Heron
Belted Kingfisher
Brown Creepers
Northern Flicker

Many other seasonal birds (sparrows and finches etc).




Two blog postings I'm working on:
*Year-End Review
I'm planning on doing a month-by-month re-cap of 2011 and possibly an updated life list.

*Two-Year Blogging Anniversary
I may also create a post in celebration of my two-year blogging anniversary. 

Good Birding,
Dwaynejava

PS: Interested in past CBC results for a count-circle near you?
http://audubon2.org/birds/cbc/hr/count_table.html

5 comments:

  1. Great video of the short-eared owl!! I hope to find one myself soon. I got my first "self-discovered" snowy yesterday just outside of Holiday Beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good video!
    I saw a couple more Snowy Owls today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these videos! I can't wait to see the video of the Great Grey...I finally got to see him today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure where to look for the Great Grey. Help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, check your email. And make sure you join Ontbirds! http://www.ojibway.ca/ontbirds.htm

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...