Sunday, March 27, 2011

Early Spring Migrants at Ojibway

Several Phoebes were around at Ojibway. It was nice to see them again!
I did not really go anywhere too far this weekend. I basically birded the Ojibway forest area on Sat and Sun for a brief 45 minute walk. Main things seen were Eastern Phoebe, Golden Crowned Kinglet, Tufted Titmouse, Red bellied Woodpecker, Tree/ White Thoated/ Song/ House Sparrows as well as the other regulars (no big surprises!). At one point, I listened for several minutes to a great bird song from some unknown bird up in a tree. After several minutes, I think I realized I was listening to the song of an American Goldfinch.


This little Golden crowned Kinglet was flitting about through the branches. My lil' camera couldn't really get a good shot of it.
Here is a little Tufted Titmouse foraging on low-lying branches just above the flooded forest floor. It seems this Winter's record snow and recent rains have flooded alot of areas
making good habitat for Spring migrants.

Good birding!

Camera update: I sent my Canon 40D camera body to be repaired and I'll probably put it on kijiji in a month or so when I get it back. I'm waiting on a new camera body that I've recently ordered! In the meantime, I'm still rockin' a point and shoot camera.   :-)

2 comments:

  1. I have a question for you. The gulls were thicker than ever today around the marina and along the shore for about a mile surrounding it. Of course they have been really abundant for the past couple of months due to the gizzard shad. Today, however, they were all vocalizing. It was like a chorus. Crazy. Why all of a sudden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiki, thanks for the question, but I'm not sure I know why there are so many or why they are vocalizing. I did go to the marina on Friday after work and noted how many birds were around.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...