Monday, December 20, 2010

Point Pelee CBC

Well... This is my 100th posting on my blog! In a way, I feel there should be a small party with balloons or something! I've been really busy this month, hence my short hiatus from my regular blogging output/ production.


I participated in the Point Pelee CBC today and really enjoyed spending the day with several great birders. Our small group of 5 birders was led by Anna Marie (sp?) who was an excellent birder! I arrived at the park at about 7:15 am and looked for some Owls before our meeting time of about 8am. I had no luck in the morning with owls. Our birding group birded 'area 2' which was from the visitor center north to the delaurier trail area. Most of our walking was on the East of the roadway.

Hermit Thrush looking past a Chinquapin Oak Tree


My personal list of birds seen today are:

Common Merganser
Lesser Scaup
Black Ducks
Bufflehead

Bald Eagle
Sharp Shinned Hawk
Northern Harrier
Rough Legged Hawk (lifer! #215)

Snow Buntings
American Goldfinch
Hermit Thrush
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Carolina Wren (heard twice)
Purple Finch
Northern Cardinal
Black Capped Chickadee
Golden Crowned Kinglet
Blue Jays
American Robins
European Starlings
Common Grackle

Tree Sparrows
White Throated Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Dark eyed Junco

Various Gulls

Northern Flicker
Downy Woodpecker
Red Bellied Woodpecker

Wild Turkey
Eastern Screech Owl

Wow - 30 birds... I'm probably missing 5-10 other species. This list is off the top of my head. I really look forward to reading the final compiled list!

 17,000 Scaup??? Plus, four more flew in moments after this photo... :-)

 Lifer... #215 Rough Legged Hawk.... Horrible shot, but I think its at least diagnostic.


 My first warbler in a while!
 Distant Eagle on the eastern edge of Delaurier / Anders Path/ Old maintenance grounds...
On the way out of the park, I drove slowly and looked at some tree holes. This one was near sanctuary lookout and was facing the road. I actually shot this sitting in the drivers seat of my car! I tried to get out of my car to get a better shot, but I think it retreated to a deeper spot in this tree as I attempted a better vantage point. This is a different screech owl than the one I photographed earlier in December. This one is grey/white as opposed to the dark/rufous morph from Dec 5th. Of course, no flash was used in any of my photography... hence the blur!

Wow, I'm really tired after walking on all that icy, snowy uneven ground! No major surprises but some good looks at what would be expected to be seen. A great time overall!

Good birding!
Dwayne

PS: Happy Solstice! As I drove back to Windsor last night, there was a gorgeous full moon. I heard on the news that the cloud cover would hinder views of last nights eclipse.  I made the image below from a recent eclipse by taking several moon exposures and putting them into one image.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting photos! Glad you had a good time on the CBC. They are always interesting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...